Go to the content Go to the main menu

History

The village is rich in historical sites. At Chaté and Chatrian two prehistoric settlements have been identified, demonstrating that Torgnon was already inhabited before the Roman empire.
In the Middle Ages the municipality belonged to the Lordship of the Cly family, whose authority extended beyond the Alps as far as Sion. Under the particularly tyrannical rule of Pierre de Cly the fief, of which Torgnon was part, was conquered by the Savoys who governed it for about 200 years through a castellan.
In 1550 it was ceded to the Moralis family, then successively to the Fabri, to the Roncas and finally to the Bergera, who in 1750 once and for all renounced their feudal rights over the municipality of Torgnon.